Wednesday 29 January 2014

Self drafted peasant blouse - Part 2

Very late post. I finished this in November!

So I've pulled one of my favourite tops apart (read about this process here). Now I'm going to make a new one!

I ironed each piece so I could identify symmetrical and mirror image pieces. I contemplated creating new paper pattern pieces but decided to just use the original fabric pieces. This worked well - no movement like paper patterns. The original also had a woven stripe so the grain line is obvious.

I've had some vintage (70s I think) brown/back/cream cotton complete with paisleys in my stash for a little while and knew that it would look fab as a peasant top. Additional challenges were less meterage than I remembered and it's very narrow (a smidge over 90 cm) which  makes pattern piece placement a challenge. Also the pattern is non-symmetrical across the 90cm. InitIally this troubled me - the centre should be symmetric, shouldn't it? Shouldn't it? Ummmm, no. It doesn't. What a liberating statement! Woo hoo! It's not symmetric around the centre fold on either the front or the back. But that's ok. I'm happy with it and that's what counts.

The fabric is quite sheer but not slippery so only tension issues (what else!). 

I referred very closely to the deconstruction notes (in reverse!) and managed an acceptable copy of the original.
See, not symmetric!

A few learnings:
  • Whist similar, the weight of the copy fabric is lighter and you can tell from the drape. The top is actually slightly A-line.
  • Peasant tops with at least 3/4 length sleeves are good. 1/2 sleeves are a bit short (but still ok)
  • I need to practice faced gathered necklines. This is too gathered.

No comments:

Post a Comment