Thursday 2 January 2014

Black Burda Pants

The last piece I finished in 2013 was a pair of black ankle-length pants in black stretch cotton sateen. I used Burda 7068 - a semi fitted pant with side zip, rear darts and front pleats. I used the wider waistband (view A) but shorter length (view B).

I decided to cut out a size 14. I'm usually a 12 but I've not used a burda pant pattern before. My measurements are larger than a 12 in the waist but less than a 12 in the hips. But my last pants experience ended up too small and is now languishing In the cupboard.

I checked the fit using the Sandra Betzina trick of machine basting the side seams before adding the waistband and zipper and trying them on inside out to check the fit [best fitting idea ever - I'll be using that one. I ended up taking from 1.5cm to 3cm in on both inside and outside  leg - most at the hip.
This isn't a big deal given that I'd upped a size and used stretch fabric.

I'm pretty happy with the result. There is some pulling at the bottom of the front pleat but not significant. These will do great service for work and replace a pair that are just about trashed.

The only other modification was for a sway waist - increased width of darts at back and took a small dart in the back waistband.

Poor light and crappy camera so there's not too much detail

No comments:

Post a Comment