Wednesday 11 September 2013

Sewing questions

I've just discovered the blog Stitches and Seams. Debbie is a hoot! And a very good sewer. Check out her archive of techniques.  This week she has blogged the answers to some thought-provoking sewing questions about pattern placing and cutting. I thought I would have a go at answering them too. 

1. Do you cut with your fabric RS out or WS out? 


WS out. But only because thats what the pattern instructions say. Logically, it won't make any difference whether the right side is out or in. And I can understand why sometimes, right side out would be very useful e.g. pattern matching. I'm about to cut out a shirt and I just might do this with fabric RS out.

2. How do you make your pattern markings?

A mixture. I cut triangles for seam markings. Call me weird, but I like doing this. Tailors tacks and chalk for marks inside patterns. Which one will vary depending on fabric (slippery fabrics - tailors tacks), complexity/number of markings (higher number - more likely to be chalking).


3. Do you follow the cutting layout in patterns?


Yes. Most of the time but increasingly as an indicator only. I always compare and have been saved a couple of times when I've squeezed pieces onto a smaller length of fabric and very nearly missed a pattern piece.

4. Are you obsessed with re-folding your pattern tissue on or very close to the original fold lines?


Ummmm... Well... Yes. OCD. I'm out and proud. The tissue patterns AND instructions. Then these and any redrafted pattern pieces all go into a ziplock bag with the original envelope on top. All neat and tidy. I love flipping through my box of patterns, all in their little bags. 

5. I thought of one more ... Do you make all the markings?

Yes. I've missed them a couple of times. And then when I've realised, I've wondered if having them would make a difference. It's unlikely that they would but I really hate "what ifs"

All this talking about cutting patterns has got my fingers itching. I'm off to cut out that shirt - RS out!

No comments:

Post a Comment