Sunday 20 September 2015

Kirsten T #3

In case your're wondering, I haven't got the numbers wrong, this is #3. I like this one so much I got photos of this one before #2. 

In very quick succession, after my second Kirsten T, I made #3. This time, I decided to change things up a bit. One of my favourite RTW tops (and the last one I've bought) has a front made of poly chiffon and the back is a fine poly knit (from Jacqui E - a mid-range Australian clothes range for women - lots of corporate wear). I really like the drape of the front and the knit makes it so comfortable. So I thought I'd give something similar a go. The September MAGAM theme 'snoop sewing' was all the incentive I needed.

I decided to go with similar fabrics to the RTW - a polyester chiffon for the front and a lightweight poly knit for the back. To assist in fit and improve the hang of the top, I cut the chiffon on the bias. I was a bit worried about the this. Cutting chiffon out is always a challenge - slippery and fine. Add cutting on the bias and I was sure the whole thing would skew. So I cut it out on the floor (no weight dragging anywhere) and used a mix of weights and pins. One arm was a little off but on the whole the front and back matched up well.

I used the same neck finish as previous Kirten T makes, using a strip of the knit fabric. I treated the chiffon front and knit back slightly differently. I stretched the neck over the chiffon only very slightly - enough to keep the neckline sitting flat. I stretched it out more over the knit. I varied up the topstitching too - plain straight stitch on the chiffon and a triple stitch over the knit. The front is sitting beautifully. A little bit of puckering on the back. I think this could have been remedied with some stabilising. Next time!

I wasn't sure how to best finish the hems. Should I use different finishes for the chiffon and the knit? I  decided to focus on the best finish for the chiffon. I chose a narrow double-folded hem. Rather than try to wrangle a double folded narrow hem with the knit (impossible!) I chose to fold that over just once. And then a triple straight stitch to finish the whole lot. It worked.

I'm really happy with the way it turned out. Please forgive the crappy photos. Black is so hard to photograph.

2 comments:

  1. Nicely done! I've seen lots of shirts like this and wondered if I could make one. I'm still not sure if I will, but thanks for sharing your process!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emily. I thought it would be harder than it was. I treated all pattern pieces and seams as if they were knits. It was only the hems that I mixed it up. And it's one of the most comfortable work appropriate tops I have.

      Delete