Saturday 11 April 2015

My Oslo

I have subscribed to Seamwork by Colette Patterns. Sarai's philosophy of interspersing complex makes with simple ones resonated with me. My pattern stash and planning has focussed on more technical, detailed clothes. So Seamwork came along at the right time. Recent makes include two fitted dresses and a semi-fitted and collared shirt so it's time for a simple make.

It's also starting getting cold! March's MAGAM marked the transition to Autumn (and Spring in the other half of the world). So I've decided to make an Oslo. Have you seen this pattern? It says "snuggle" and "comfortable" and "warm".

I've already introduced my new favourite LFS (hello Catwalk Fabrics!) and during my last visit I found some wool polyester knit in a pale cream/pink colour. It was the colour that caught my eye and its feel that got it off the rack and over to the cutting table 😊. This fabric is a one-way about 20% stretch.

Before I cut into my fabric, I researched how I should handle it. Here's what I did:
  • I prefer shears to a rotary cutter but in order to minimise distortion I traced each piece onto the fabric before I cut out
  • I used pattern weights (aka cans from the pantry) instead of pins
  • I did consider cutting out on one layer of fabric, but this knit is fairly stable and the wool loosely locked together with very little movement, so I cut out the pattern with the fabric doubled
  • I used a jersey needle, with a fuzzy poly stretch thread in the bobbin (hand wound - a zen moment) and a triple knit stitch on my sewing machine
  • I always back stitched at the beginning and end of each seam - learned this one the hard way
I cut out a straight medium. The fit is very forgiving so I didn't make any adjustments.

Sarai's instructions are excellent. They were easy to follow with plenty of detail. I made up according to the instructions with the exception of the cuff hems which I finished by hand with a slip stitch. I'm into hand finishing seams at the moment. I didn't add buttons. I like the more casual no buttons look. 

I'm really happy with the result. Arm length is perfect although some people might think they are a little long. The shawl collar sits nicely.

I've been waiting for weeks for a drop in temperature so I can wear my Oslo out. Last week I had my first opportunity to wear it and received some lovely compliments, but it's taken me another week to remember to take a photo.



2 comments:

  1. Looks lovely! Makes me think I need to try a shawl collar sometime soon.

    Sue C

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue. This pattern is a great one to try for a shawl collar. It's a nice alternative to something more structured.

      Delete