Thursday 2 April 2015

Humming Bird Shirt

I've been inspired by some fave bloggers working through shirt construction (MPB and Sewaholic - excellent blogs!). I am short of nice shirts and wanted something that would look equally nice dressed up for work or down for casual. I have been looking for a shirt pattern with shape but not too fitted. Also a collar. I took ages to find one that fitted the bill and when I did, of course my choice was an OOP pattern - New Look 6407. But luckily I found it in Etsy. I like the variations available in the single pattern: collar - no collar, short sleeves - long sleeves, cuffs, lace. Love it!


I had a recent stash acquisition languishing in my pile. It's black poplin with bright coloured humming birds flirting across it. Not my normal fabric style but I like it. It wasn't expensive so I decided that it would be good for a wearable muslin.


I made up a standard 14, with short sleeves and a collar. The final fit isn't too bad. Good dart positions. A little large all over and a bit larger again over the hips (usual for me). The main issue is the plunging neckline. It sits waaaaaay lower than I comfortable with - especially at work 😉.

Here's a bad mobile shot from work.





No comments:

Post a Comment