Tuesday 16 September 2014

Vogue 1071

I'm slowly developing a few TNT patterns. And Vogue 1071 (view A - the one on the left in the picture below) is probably the first one - almost without realising it. Very occasionally the fitting gods smile down on me and they did with this pattern. When I first made it after "re-finding" this pattern in my mum's stash, the only mod I made was to open the neck up. The original is too tight. The rest of the fit in size 12 was just fine. This is a semi-fitted top so it doesn't have to be perfect.

Last weekend I found a spare day (I know it seems strange :)) and I needed a bit of stress relief. It has a been a very busy time. This pattern is vey simple - two pieces. The arms and bodice are one pattern piece. There are facings but I used bias binding for both the neck and sleeves. I had some cotton with pink flowers on cream just waiting for something to inspire me. There was a lightbulb moment when I saw the wider neckline on the Butterick 2444 and I knew that I wanted to try something similar with Vogue 1407. For my first make, I made up the back as two pieces with all seven buttons but for this one, I realised that I did have quite enough fabric for the buttoned back so I contemplated cutting the back on the fold (I never use the buttons on the original to get it on and off). But I couldn't quite stretch the fabric that far so I cut the back with a seam. And no, no pattern matching happening at all.



All in all the top took an afternoon to make. I wore it the next day to work. I love wearing me-mades to work.

This is a great top for work or casual. I am contemplating my next one in a sheer silk of some kind. I think this would be a good pattern to work on my technique for sheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment