Saturday 31 January 2015

Amazing fit wearable muslin

 I have been wanting an LBD for a while now (in 2014 planning  but I've not yet got to one. The main reason is that I've not found a pattern that I'm happy with. So I've started looking for one. First try is... Simplicity 2648 an Amazing Fit dress with bodice and skirt cut separately and princess seams down the front (darts at the back). I was intrigued by the idea of Amazing Fit. Different bust sizes (a,b,c) as well as straight, average and curvy shape. Given my shape and previous Simplicity pattern experience, I decided to try a B cup and straight shape. The final measurements including ease reassured me that the fit would be close. I find the "as constructed" measurements invaluable.

I picked the cap sleeves. Or as the pattern calls them "flanges" (yuk!). And a round neck. This pattern called for all of the princess seams and darts being constructed and then the side seams being basted to allow for fit adjustment.

I also decided it was wearable muslin time. So I headed down to Spotties and found some stretch sateen that I liked. I was a little nervous as the regular 4-petal pattern black-on-white needed to be treated like a check (plaid). I spent lots of time carefully laying out the pattern pieces. Making sure of both directions on as many seams as possible. The princess seams posed a challenge. But then the mathematician in me kicked in. Using the regular pattern, I could offset pattern pieces and still try for pattern matching. And I did it. Well, nearly 😉 the princess seams went well.

I also lengthened the bodice by 1/2" (usual pattern mod for me). This is where I came undone (just a little). The horizontal lines were not quite right. I contemplated throwing my hands in the air and throwing the whole thing into the furthest corner but then I took a breath and finished making it up. On my final fit I grabbed the nearest belt I could find. It's amazing how much of a slightly out-of-kilter seam a belt can hide.

I wore it to work the next day (with a belt of course) and My Miette and received not one but three complements. Job done! Please excuse the photo. The dress had been in my wardrobe for a day and was a little crushed.
Wardrobe shot. Apologies for the wrinkles

No comments:

Post a Comment