Saturday 7 December 2013

It's tense here!

So I finally got back to the fabulous sewing machine service people and spent about half an hour with Richard, trying to diagnose my sewing machine issues - tension. I've never had such a technical discussion - stitch line, length, top thread, bobbin thread, thread type, thread quality. And through trial and error, we came to the conclusion that:
  1. I could wind my bobbins better - nothing better than watching the expert thread and wind a bobbin. Don't wind too fast - this can stretch the thread and may result in puckered seams.
  2. I need to use better quality thread. This is a symptom of using the same thread that I (and my mum) have always used, not realising that it is not as good as it used to be, and not knowing the best alternatives.
  3. There's nothing wrong with dialling down the tension to deal with lower quality (rougher) threads. 
So, I'm off to dust off my "current" UFOs. Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment