Sunday 29 December 2013

Colette Sewing Handbook Merigue

Before the sewing machine tension palaver, I had cut out my first Colette Sewing Handbook pattern. Whilst I REALLY want to make up the Pastille dress (more about that later) I thought that I should start at the beginning so I've kicked off with a Meringue skirt. In my stash I found some plain cotton-linen blend in a dusky blue. I've had it forever and I'm happy to risk it as (hopefully) a wearable muslin. Perhaps a little lightweight but I also want to line it. I have enough in a mid blue bemsilk remnant.

I've read up on other people's experiences (check my Meringue study on Pinterest). Some comments about sizing so I measured carefully. I'm midway between a 10 and 12 so I cut a 12. Better to be too big than too small.

More research needed on invisible zips. Yes, I've never done one before. But it's got to be done (and it's one of my technique challenges).

In my web trawling I've also found this great tutorial from Roses on Toast for adding lining to a Meringue. Great tip on sewing the lining and waist facing together and then treating them as one piece when sewing to the main skirt.


No comments:

Post a Comment