Monday 11 March 2013

Sashiko bag

What fun! I have been spending the last few weeks going through my stash - patterns and fabric - to figure out what what happens next. This is one of my favourite pastimes (sigh!) I have found a number of UFOs. Actually an embarrassing number of them. Shhhhhhh! Don't tell anyone...

But the one that has got me excited is my Sashiko bag. I don't remember much about this. I know I was given a cute Sashiko kit with the circles pattern imprinted on it. I don't remember who gave it to me (thanks!) and I don't remember when I finished it but I do remember really enjoying the process. It was very zen. Repetition with exactness. Good stuff.

Anyways... I finished the stitching and thought it would make a really great centre panel for a tote bag. I also did a bit more Sashiko. I remember(!) reading that Sashiko was used to pad garments and other stitched objects so I made a base using rice stitch. I thoight a padded base would be more robust. I found some Japanese quilting fabric (yes, no idea where I found it) and decided that it would make a good "other panel". Over a period of time, I also found some nice subdued-but-not-boring fabric that would do well as border and lining fabric. And then...

Nothing...

And no, I don't remember why. Probably something new and exciting came along. Isn't this what always happens?

So last week I found it again and was re-energised. I was lucky enough to find some old diagrams as well. I brought out my trusty  quilters ruler and got to it. All the pieces had 1/2" seams.

  • Other panel the same dimensions as the Sashiko piece
  • Edging for both panels of 1"
  • Side panels - don't forget to add the increased height of panels + edging
  • Handles - I measured reusable shopping bag handles to get an indication of how long they should be. The bag is similar dimensions.

I also had to cut extra panels for the base because my rice quilting is the same length as the Sashiko piece (should have planned this better...). I then cut out lining using panel + edging dimensions. I also had some fusible batting - quite thin but enough to give the bag some structure. After I had made up the quilting panels with their edging I fused the batting to the outer pieces.

Note to self: more research on construction is required before designing. I spent ages fitting and stitching the corner seams. I then found a heap of bag tutorials suggesting a mitred base which would have saved hours. Sigh!

Photos below showing the bag sides and base. I'm pretty happy with the result. I've asked Mr Practical to come up with a base insert to give it some structure. I wonder what he'll come up with.





No comments:

Post a Comment