Sunday 24 March 2013

Another UFO!

So I was down in the shed on the weekend looking for extra glasses (explanation: when we renovated our house most of our "stuff" was stored in the shed. Some of it is yet to come back) I came across a bag from a long defunct local fabric shop. I don't remember this bag at all. Inside was not 1 but 3 patterns and one had fabric cut out and ready to be made up. Even better it was in one of my favourite all time patterns that I had thought was long gone. Check this out... I absolutely love this pattern. I've made all of these pieces. The shirt was the first yoked shirt I made. And I still have it, in a muted floral fabric. Very 1980s. This version had been cut out in aqua woven gingham. I can honestly say I have no recollection of this fabric or cutting out the pattern. X is now 11 and the bag must have been hidden away for at least this length of time. Maybe I was pregnant when I bought the fabric and cut it out.


Anyway, having finished the Sassy Librarian Blouse recently I thought that this would be a good time to make this up and practice all the new things i learned. So I set to with tailors tacks and pleat marking. What fun! I have gained a heap of confidence in making up the SLB. Existing methods were confirmed and new techniques learned. I approached this pattern in the same way. And yes, my iron was on full steam and the ham got a work out. My tailors ham would have to be one of the best recent acquisitions to my sewing tools.

As this is a loose-fitting shirt, I made it true to the pattern. One very minor mod, I removed two pleats in the pockets - they wouldn't have shown up with the gingham anyway. Now it's made, I realise that I should have cut the shirt pockets on the bias to make a feature. The way the check has lined up means that the pockets disappear (although the pattern matching is awesome!)



I am really pleased with how the cuffs have turned out. They have placket openings which are a bit fiddly but the effort was worth it.



I'm also happy with the collar. Also fiddly, but the techniques I learned with the sassy librarian blouse stood me in good stead. Taking the time to do it properly was worth it. The pattern instructions are pretty good too.



I am really pleased that I offered the shirt to my mum and she accepted it. My body shape has changed significantly (!) since having children so I don't think I would get much wear out of it. I am hoping to get a photo of her in it but in the meantime here is the finished object (sorry about the daggy hanger - it was what was at hand).

No comments:

Post a Comment